Monday, May 6, 2013

The many ways of math






What's your favorite math topic to cover with your students? I honestly can't pick just one. I love math! I have been so blessed to be working in this position in an EIP math class. I think one thing I love most about math is that there are so many different ways to approach it. And I think that's one of the biggest things we need to remember as teachers, really in any subject. A couple of my students are English Language Learners so it's even harder for them to understand some ways that things are explained.

I love when I'm explaining a concept in class and everyone is on the same page. It's a great feeling. But at the same time, there are days when I realize I don't have everyone following the lesson. The great thing about math is being able to stop and explain it a different way to where hopefully they can better understand it. Sometimes we may not know another way to explain it, but it's ok have your students help you out. Choose a student who gets it and ask that student to explain what you're doing in his/her own words. You can even have a few students do this. Or partner students. This has really worked well for my group.

How do you feel about math? What do you do when you are losing students with your explanation?

~Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment