Friday, May 17, 2013

Prepositions

TGIF! I hope everyone enjoyed their week. Next week is the last week of school for kiddos here and we are so excited to start summer vacation! For today's Friend or Foe Friday post I wanted to talk about prepositions. When students are learning about this part of speech it can be confusing. Sometimes it is hard to understand what word in the sentence shows the relationship to the noun or pronoun to another word in the sentence. I have frequently heard that an easy way to remember preposition words is to think about anyway a squirrel can be to a tree. Ex. near, on, around, or in. I liked this concept and used it in class to help students understand preposition words.
I split the class into groups and gave them each a piece of chart paper. I then gave each group a relationship similar to squirrel and tree. Ex. Airplane to a cloud, worm to an apple, and book to backpack. My students then had to draw a picture and write as many preposition words as they could. My students were very creative and the posters were great! I think this activity gave them a great understanding of prepositions.
I have included an example to what my students did on their chart paper.


What have you done with your students to cover different parts of speech?
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! :)
~Manda

No comments:

Post a Comment